Smoke Alarm Certification in Sydney
Smoke Alarms Compliance and Why Should You Care?
At Safe Fire and Electrical, we know the management of smoke alarms completely. We work closely with our clients to tailor a package that guarantees compliance for your smoke alarm.
- Smoke Alarm Certificate
- Smoke Alarm Compliance
- Electrical Smoke Alarm Installation Certificate
- Fire Alarms Certification
- Fire Safety Certificate
What we do
Smoke Alarm Certification For Landlords
From 23 March 2020, NSW landlords and agents need to assure that smoke alarms installed in rented properties are in working order.
Where a smoke alarm is not in working order, landlords and agents must ensure the alarm is repaired (this includes replacing a battery) within 2 business days.
Landlords and agents must check smoke alarms every year to ensure they are working.
Landlords and agents must ensure:
- – smoke alarms are replaced within 10 years of manufacture, or earlier if specified by the manufacturer
- – batteries are installed or replaced every year (or for lithium batteries, in the period specified by the manufacturer).
Landlords and agents must give at least 2 business days notice to inspect or assess the need for smoke alarm repair or replacement, and at least 1-hour notice to carry out repair or replacement of a smoke alarm.
What are my requirements under the legislation?
Under current law, it states that Landlords must ensure their rental property is fitted with the required number of working smoke alarms complying with the Australian Standard (3786-1993) and installed as outlined in the Building Code of Australia (BCA) Part 220.127.116.11
- Smoke alarms must be installed in every story of the building and the alarms must be placed between each part of the residence containing bedrooms and the rest of the dwelling. Also, smoke alarms must be installed in any corridor leading to bedrooms.
- Any dwelling that is built on or after 1st February 1995 is required to be fitted with a 240v mains alarm.
- Any accommodation that is made on or after 1st February 1998 is required to be fitted within 6 months of the date of buying with a 240v mains alarm OR a 10-year life non-replaceable, not removable permanently connected battery-powered device.
Penalties For Not Having A Smoke Alarm Certificate
Landlords and agents are required to have working smoke alarms installed and maintained to BCA and Australian criteria. Failure to protect the safety of your tenants and investment property with working and regularly maintained smoke alarm that is approved may result in the dismissal of an insurance claim for damage, loss of life, or personal injury, or even a $500 penalty for simply failing to comply.
When using a smoke alarm certification company like Safe Fire And Electrical, we will ensure all your smoke alarms are compliant. Once the review of the smoke alarm is passed Safe Fire And Electrical will issue you your Smoke Alarm Compliance Certificate. This document will be required by the insurance company should any claims arise due to fire-related incidents.
FOR YOUR SMOKE ALARM COMPLIANCE CERTIFICATE! – CALL US TODAY!
Protect the safety of yourself and your family – call Safe Fire & Electrical now for professional smoke alarm installation. Your satisfaction and safety are our top priority, and we can tailor a smoke alarm installation package to suit your home and budget.